• Mari El is a land of great natural beauty, rich in beautiful lakes and coniferous-deciduous forests.
• It is located to the east of the East European Plain, in the middle reaches of the Volga River.
• The length of the territory from north to south is 150 km, and from west to east it is 275 km.
• The population of the republic is about 700 thousand people.
• The official languages are Mari (meadow and highland) and Russian.
• The climate is moderately continental with long cold winters and warm summers. The average summer temperatures range from +18, +20 C in summer to -18, -19 C in winter.
• The Yoshkar-Ola airport operates flights to Moscow, Nizhny Novgorod, and Saratov. There are railways to Moscow and Kazan and highways to Cheboksary and Kazan.
• Founded in 1972, Mari State University is a non-profit public higher education institution located in the city of Yoshkar Ola, the capital of Mari El Republic.
• Officially accredited/recognized by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation, Mari State University is a coeducational higher education institution.
• Mari State University is awarded with the gold medal European Quality. 100 best universities of the Russian Federation – 2009, MarSU Rector, Dr. Vitaly Makarov is awarded with the honorary breastplate «Best rector – 2009 by the Independent Public Council of the competition European Quality: Gold Medal
• Today Mari State Medical University is recognized as a centre of education and scientific research, listed by Medical Council of India and recognised by WHO, European Medical Council, UNESCO.etc.
• More than 8,000 students study at the university. Around 2,500 students live in hostels. The teaching staff includes more than 100 doctors of sciences and professors and 400 candidates of sciences and associate professors. The University campus comprises 7 educational buildings and 8 hostels.
• Scientific Library of Mari State University was established in October 1972. The Library consists of 12 departments, 7 reading halls, 7 subscriptions. The library fund numbers over 1,000,0000 items.
• Mari State University consists of 6 faculties and 5 institutes that train well-educated specialists for most sectors of the Russian national economy. Mari State University is one of the five founder members of the International Association of Finno-Ugric universities, one of the forty-one members of Russia’s Association of Classical Universities.
• Mari State University plays a key role in training qualified specialists. Education is carried out in 55 areas and 3 specialities. More than 8,000 students study at the university. Around 2,500 students live in halls of residence.
• The academic year begins on September 1 (or on the first working day of September). Lectures and classes are held six days a week according to the time-table.
• International students live in the student’s hostel, located close to the institution, in well arranged and furnished single or double rooms. In the building of the hostel there is the student’s canteen with a snack bar and billiard parlor, working as a cafe in the evening. Connection to the Internet is also available in every room.
• There is separate upper floor for female students.
• There is also mess system near the hostel but mostly foreign student's do self-cooking in the hostel.