• The Philippines, is a sovereign state in Southeast Asia in the western Pacific Ocean.
• To its north across the Luzon Strait lies Taiwan. West across the South China Sea sits Vietnam.
• The Sulu Sea to the southwest lies between the country and the island of Borneo, and to the south the Celebes Sea separates it from other islands of Indonesia.
• It is bounded on the east by the Philippine Sea. Its capital city is Manila.
• With a population of more than 97 million people, the Philippines is the 12th most populated country in the world.
• An additional 12 million Filipinos live overseas.
• Multiple ethnicities and cultures are found throughout the islands.
• Philippines have a democratic government.
• It is a constitutional republic with a presidential system.
• China has been characterized as a potential superpower by a number of academics, military analysts, and public policy and economics analysts.
• The Philippines is an archipelago of 7,107 islands with a total land area, including inland bodies of water, of approximately 300,000 square kilometers (120,000 sq mi). Its 36,289 kilometers (22,549 mi) of coastline makes it the country with the 5th longest coastline in the world.
• It is located between 116° 40', and 126° 34' E. longitude and 4° 40' and 21° 10' N. latitude and is bordered by the Philippine Sea to the east, the South China Sea to the west, and the Celebes Sea to the south.
• The Philippines has a tropical maritime climate and is usually hot and humid.
• There are three seasons: tag-init or tag-araw, the hot dry season or summer from March to May; tag-ulan, the rainy season from June to November; and tag-lamig, the cool dry season from December to February.
• Buses, taxis, and motorized tricycles are commonly available in major cities and towns. In 2007, there were about 5.53 million registered motor vehicles with registration increasing at an average annual rate of 4.55%.
• AMA School of Medicine (AMASOM) is the medical school of AMA Education System (AMAES). It is housed in AMA College Makati, which is strategically located at the heart of Makati City, the Philippines' financial and business capital where the highest concentration of multinational, transnational and local corporations and international organizations and embassies hold their offices. The AMASOM office is at the 8th floor of AMA College Makati, which is located at 5486 South Superhighway, Bangkal, Makati City.
• AMASOM has several facilities that are used for enhancement of students’ clinical and practical skills including laboratories for Histology, Gross Anatomy, Microbiology, Parasitology, and Pathology. Students perform hands-on dissection of cadavers in Gross Anatomy. These facilities as well as classrooms for Medicine students are situated at the 7th floor of the AMA One Building.
• AMASOM aims to produce competent medical practitioners who are educated on an innovative case-based curriculum that will develop students to become self-directed and lifelong learners - qualities that will prepare them for professional practice.
• In summary, AMASOM is a student-centered Medicine school with the following features:
• Four-year integrated curriculum with an ideal faculty-to-student ratio
• Clinically oriented and problem-based method of teaching and learning
• Non-traditional lecture and instructional modules
• Hands-on anatomy dissection
• Faculty established in their chosen fields of specialization and in the academe
• Affordable, flexible payment schemes
• Affiliated with government hospitals and private health institutions
• Outstanding facilities and resources conducive to learning
• The MD degree at AMASOM is recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI) as equivalent to the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) degree similarly offered in the UK, Australia, India and other Commonwealth countries. After their MD graduation from AMASOM, Indian students will be given a license to practice in India similar to the MBBS doctors from India after completion of licensing formalities with the MCI.
The teaching faculty is highly experienced and hold reputed degrees in their fields.
• Name of Course:
• Medical Course - MD equivalent to MBBS, offered by AMA College of Medicine, MAKATI CAMPUS, Philippines for International Students.
• Duration of Course:
• After class 12: FIVE years (1 year premedical and 4 years of Medical education).
• After Bachelors: FOUR Years of Medicine.
• This is a hybrid curriculum designed to synchronize the basic science concepts and to utilize case-based scenarios to integrate concepts related to the basic science disciplines. The clinical disciplines are integrated vertically using a problem-based learning strategy to integrate concepts in the clinical disciplines. The AMA Medical Curriculum incorporates Information Technology-based capabilities to enhance learning and assessments, as this is strength that is offered by AMAES.
• The four-year curriculum equips the students with clinical reasoning, problem-solving and critical thinking skills with emphasis on interdisciplinary and life-long learning. The first three years provide the students with an integrated understanding of the basic and clinical sciences in the classroom and community settings. The fourth year of the curriculum is devoted to the application of the basic and clinical concepts in actual clinical and community settings.
• International students live in the student’s hostel, located close to the institution, in well arranged and furnished single or double rooms. In the building of the hostel there is the student’s canteen with a snack bar and billiard parlor, working as a cafe in the evening. Connection to the Internet is also available in every room.
• There is separate upper floor for female students.
• There is also mess system near the hostel but mostly foreign student's do self-cooking in the hostel.