It borders the provincial capital of Zhengzhou to its southwest, Kaifeng to its southeast, Hebi and Anyang to its north, Jiaozuo to its west, and the provinces of Shanxi and Shandong to its northwest and east respectively.
Its population was 5,707,801 as of 2010 census of whom 2,596,759 are in the built-up area made of 4 urban districts (Weibin, Hongqi and Muye). and, as the city is expanding very quickly, Fengquan district, Xinxiang county and Huixang City are now being urbanized.
- Xinxiang Medical University is one under provincial administration, who has been in operation since 1950 and ratified to grant both bachelor degree and master degree by the authorities.
- Now there are 14 departments, 20 specialities are granted to give master degree.
- A modern library was built with about 97.27 thousand books, facilitated with an exchange platform among 110 academic organizations from both domestic and foreign libraries.
- The university has four medical journals issued publicly to domestic and abroad.
- The university has established a good relationship with over 10 foreign universities or colleges and education institutions from America, Britain, Japan, Australia, Canada, Sweden, Nepal and so on.