Tianjin, formerly romanized as Tientsin, is a coastal metropolis in northern China and one of the nine national central cities of the People's Republic of China (PRC), with a total population of 15,621,200 as of 2016 estimation. Its built-up (or metro) area, made up of 12 central districts (all but Baodi, Jizhou, Jinghai and Ninghe), was home to 12,491,300 inhabitants in 2016 and is also the world's 29th-largest agglomeration (between Chengdu and Rio de Janeiro) and 11th-most populous city proper.
It is governed as one of the four municipalities under the direct administration of central government of the PRC and is thus under direct administration of the central government. Tianjin borders Hebei Province and Beijing Municipality, bounded to the east by the Bohai Gulf portion of the Yellow Sea. Part of the Bohai Economic Rim, it is the largest coastal city in northern China.
- The university was the first higher medical college which was approved by Administrative Council of People's Republic of China (PRC).
- Member of “Project 211” Universities.
- It ranks No.15 of the subject Clinical Medicine.
- Tianjin Medical University is the first medical University in china which laid the foundation for Modern Research on Cancer. Today it has Asia's biggest Oncology Research and treatment centre in Asia.
- Tianjin Medical University is the one of the best Medical College to study MBBS in China in English Medium. Tianjin University gets huge grants from Central Government of China for its Research and development.
- It is approved by Medical Counsel of India in 2004, the year which MCI approved Medical Colleges in China. Students also prepare their respective board exams board like MCI screening test while doing their MBBS. This provides a very good academic environment for the students to be very competitive and Tianjin Medical University China has very high success rate at MCI Screening Test.
- TMU boasts of a simulation Laboratory, which is first of its kind in China.
- The International Hostel is a 16-floor building at the entrance of the main gate of the university. This hostel maintains 3-star standards and monthly rent is about 900 RMB. The hostel has separate floors for Boys and Girls. Strict security is provided round the cloak.
- The university is located in the heart city of Tianjin, which just 30 minutes away from Beijing by bullet train.