Qiqihar is the second largest city in the Heilongjiang province of China, located in the west central part of the province. The built-up (or metro) area made up of Longsha, Tiefeng and Jianhua districts had 979,517 inhabitants, while the total population of the prefecture-level city was 5,367,003 at the 2010 census. These are mainly Han Chinese, though the city is also home to thirty-four minorities including Manchus, Daur, and Mongols. Close to Qiqihar are numerous wetlands and the Zhalong Nature Reserve, famous in China for being home to numerous red-crowned cranes.
- Qiqihar Medical University (QMU), located in the hometown of world-famous red-crowned cranes, stands by the scenic Nenjiang River and is an university of Heilongjiang Province.
- The University possesses 22 research institutes and academic associations, in which there are the Post-doctoral Research Workstations, the Research and Development Lab and the Key Constructing Lab of Provincial Universities.
- The technology fruits registration number of our university is in the top flight in recent 3 years.3 Journals are sponsored by the University.
- The University has 9 affiliated hospitals and 30 teaching and training hospitals.
- QMU lays great emphasis on exchange and cooperation, and has established friendly interscholastic relationships with many universities in United States, Japan, Russia ,Philippines, and etc