Kunming is the capital and largest city of Yunnan province in southwest China. Known as Yunnan-Fu until the 1920s, today it is a prefecture-level city and the political, economic, communications and cultural centre of the province as well as the seat of the provincial government. Kunming is also called the Spring city due to its weather. The headquarters of many of Yunnan's large businesses are in Kunming. It was important during World War II as a Chinese military center, American air base, and transport terminus for the Burma Road. Located in the middle of the Yunnan–Guizhou Plateau, Kunming is located at an altitude of 1,900 metres (6,234 feet) above sea level and at a latitude just north of the Tropic of Cancer. Kunming has as of 2014 a population of 6,626,000 with an urban population of 4,575,000, and is located at the northern edge of the large Dian Lake, surrounded by temples and lake-and-limestone hill landscapes.
Kunming consists of an old, previously walled city, a modern commercial district, residential and university areas. The city has an astronomical observatory, and its institutions of higher learning include Yunnan University, Yunnan Normal University and a medical college. On the outskirts is a famed bronze temple, dating from the Ming dynasty. Kunming has been designated a special tourism center and as such sports a proliferation of high-rises and luxury hotels.
- Starting from 2011 Kunming Medical University offers MBBS in English Medium with the approval of 80 seats.
- Tuition fee is quite affordable of 26,000 RMB per year. Living cost in Kunming Medical College is also not that expensive.
- Though Kunming University's ranking may not appear in Top 10 in China, it is still definitely a very good university.
- The addition advantage of Kunming Medical University is that it is connected to South Asia and Southeast Asia is convenient.
- The food in Kunming is quite spicy and students really relish the taste and will find it close to South Asia food.
- Kunming Medical University is recognized by WHO and the graduates of MBBS program are eligible to take the Medical Licensing Examinations held by the medical councils in different countries such as MCI, PMDC, USMLE, HPCSA, SCHS etc.