ining is a prefecture-level city in southwestern Shandong province. It borders Heze to the southwest, Zaozhuang to the southeast, Tai'an to the northeast, and the provinces of Henan and Jiangsu to the northwest and south respectively. Jining, which is located directly to the north of Lake Nanyang, is today the northernmost city reachable by navigation on the Grand Canal of China making it an important inland port.
Its population was 8,081,905 at the 2010 census, of whom 1,241,012 lived in the built-up (or metro) area made up of Rencheng urban district on 884 km2 (341 sq mi), Yanzhou district not being totally conurbated yet.
- Jining Medical University, established in February 1952, is a higher education institution in Shandong province.
- The value of the teaching apparatus and equipment is 150 million yuan RMB. The school library has a large collection of over 1.5 million books.
- The university consists of 15 schools and departments. It has 11 affiliated hospitals and 140teaching bases.
- In recent years, the rate of students passing postgraduate entrance exams is considerably high, and the employment rate is above 92%, which is in the front rank among universities of the same level.
- The university has been given the title of "Provincial Civilized Unit" for the last 25 years in a row by the government of Shandong province, and has as well been granted the title of"Municipal Civilized Unit"by Jining Municipal Government for the 28 consecutive years.